Thursday, May 17, 2007

PHP, MySQL, Wyse Streaming Manager -- Oh My!

Lately I've been feeling guilty about not posting here. I've also been feeling overwhelmed in trying to learn PHP and MySQL while putting together a plan for upgrading the desktops at the school where I work. Something had to give, and I'm afraid it was the blog. The good news is that the Web site (which is where the PHP and MySQL come in) is starting to shape up and the desktop plan is coming into focus.
It's all about removing problems. Currently, people ask me to update the Web site and then (more or less) patiently wait for me to get around to updating the site. Or, more frequently, they don't bother giving me the info and so the site remains outdated. With PHP and MySQL, one of the teachers, a student, and myself have hacked together a site that minimizes the amount of work that it takes to update the site. It also sets the stage for a site that the staff can update themselves. I haven't done this much coding since my subscription to Run Magazine ran out!
On the desktop front (which has been documented here, here, here, and here), I've settled on Wyse Streaming Manager. I haven't seen the price yet, so I may back out but the technology itself is something that I really think the school needs. I'll continue expanding our Terminal Services offering, since it meets the needs for the majority of our staff and students at a lower cost but WSM will fill in the gaps where TS won't work. Specifically,

  1. TS does not work well with legacy software designed for Win3.1/9x. If it won't run on the server (Windows 2003 in our case) then it won't run on TS. For the record, we've got a lot of legacy software that I am not about to replace all at once in order to further TS.
  2. TS does not work well with cartoony educational games. There is a lot of video and audio that needs to be streamed and the network just can't handle that for more than a few clients. Also for the record -- we've got a lot of those cartoony educational games in the elementary school!
  3. TS does not do multimedia well. See #2 about the streaming. We don't do a lot of that yet, but I am noticing an increase in kids wanting to use video and audio in their presentations so it is something to prepare for.
TS will work in settings where the staff member or student will be using Office apps or using the Internet. With the servers already purchased and the clients costing half the price of PCs and Wyse V00s, I think we'll continue investing in TS. Since the elementary school has different needs than the upper levels, we'll be trying WSM in their school building. I'll be sure to update as we get deeper into that project.
So, hopefully, when the summer is over, I'll have fewer problems with failing desktops (since thin clients are not prone to the physical problems PCs and laptops face) and fewer problems with the Web site (since we'll be helping the staff to help themselves).

Which should give me more time to blog!