Thursday, April 5, 2007

Neoware Image Manager (The Saga Continues)

Thanks to the great input from you guys, I'm trying to set up some demos so I can compare Neoware Image Manager with Wyse Streaming Manager. I'm still working on Wyse, but here's what's going on with Neoware.

I called my reseller to set something up. In a three-way call with the Neoware rep, I was told point-blank that Neoware doesn't recommend using their Image Manager! According to the representative of Neoware, there wasn't a lot of effort put into this product. He called it non-intuitive and complicated. Then he spent some time talking about their VDI offering.

It sounds to me like Neoware came out with the Image Manager as a response to WSM. Now that VDI is hot, they are waiting to see what happens in the virtualization space before they spend much effort on NIM.

I may still try it out so I have something to compare WSM to, but I'm leary of this. If VDI takes off, I imagine NIM will get dropped fast.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should consider trying Ardence from Citrix. It's always better to get Software from a Software company. Ardence does more than NIM or WSM. We use it for both Desktops - and to stream OS to our Citrix and Sharepoint servers.

Dave Woodard said...

There is a certain appeal to your "get software from a software company" logic. I suppose the counter to that argument is that buying software from a hardware company allows you to offset some of the software cost by buying their hardware.

But, using Citrix would avoid locking into one single hardware platform which would justify a bit of a price increase.

Thanks for the tip, I'll study up on Ardence and maybe make this a three-horse race.