Monday, August 25, 2008

Wyse Streaming Manager

Oops. This is a common pattern for me:
  1. Install new technology.
  2. Use new technology.
  3. Realize there were better ways to install said new technology.
  4. Rip new technology out and install it again.
If it is new, I don't think I have installed it less than twice. Sometimes I do it several times. Minus several points for productivity, but I usually gain in knowledge of how the product works and (especially) how it is installed.

So I set up Wyse Streaming Manager last year and wasn't real happy with how I set up the base image. This summer, I deleted the old base image and recreated it. I used Windows XP Pro both times but the new image has the shiny new SP3 installed.

Whoops! WSM doesn't recognize SP3 and so will not allow my streaming apps to work. So now I'm in the middle of base image creation #3, carefully avoiding SP3.

*sigh*

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Use HP (Neoware) Image Manager with AppStream or SoftGrid instead.
It works perfectly well with XP sp3!

WSM seems to use an old Ardence 3.1 technology for OS streaming and the Application Streaming technology from Endeavour. Both products are not the property of Wyse (then they have a hard time correcting bugs and making them working with newer technologies) and are not known to be the best of their respective categories...

Take care!

Dave Woodard said...

That actually sounds like a very good idea. I'm rapidly losing my appreciation for Wyse's solution, so a bit of comparison shopping would seem to be in order.