Thursday, August 21, 2008

Lesson Learned

When you are a tech, you need to think things through completely before acting. When you are the only tech in the organization, you need to spend a little extra time thinking things through. After all, no one is going to have your back so you have to double-check yourself.

Terminal Services in Windows Server 2008 sounds really nice. I read up on RemoteApps, TS Gateway, Web Access, and even EasyPrint (we use network printers not local, so EasyPrint would be of marginal use for us.) I checked into Active Directory integration. I read about the changes to the Session Broker. I was even aware of the changes in RDP.

Ah, the RDP client. We mainly use Neoware C50s from about three years ago. We're adding HP t5135s now (since HP bought Neoware), but the majority of our thin clients are the old Neowares. These clients run a modified version of Linux with an old version of rdesktop.

The problem? rdesktop is not compatible with the new RDP used in Terminal Server 2008. So for now I am back to Windows Server 2003 for my Terminal Servers. All the cool functionality will have to wait until I can replace my old thin clients.

The kicker to the whole thing is that one of the reasons I went to server-based computing in the first place in order to get longer life out of my clients. I guess you really can't fight progress.

No comments: